Salamander Fun Facts
- The name Salamander comes from the Greek word for Fire Lizard. This name came about when salamanders came running out of the logs they had been hiding in when those logs were thrown on a fire.
- Salamanders are nocturnal.
- Some salamander species can be poisonous and some even have teeth.
- Some salamanders and frogs have tongues up to 10 times as long as their bodies.
- The largest salamander in the world in the Chinese Giant Salamander. It can grow to a length of 5 feet.
- The Americas are home to more species of salamander than the entire rest of the world combined.